Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Recent Yahoo Story

I really don't have time to comment much about this story I've just encountered when I went to check my e-mail on Yahoo about a half-hour ago but it's annoyed me so much I feel I have to at least bring it to everyone's attention.

So the story headline is "This is what happens when  you drink 10 coke's per day," which sounds like it would be really great because it follows the same guinea-pig style that was used in the McDonald's one month diet that came out a few years ago and caused McDonalds to stop offering Super-sized portions. The man in the video goes on a one-month diet where he forces himself to consume 10 cans of regular coke soda per day.

The video actually starts off really well in the sense that the man talks about how crappy he feels and how he doesn't have much of an appetite and is gaining weight exceptionally fast... but then -for anyone with a nutrition background away- he starts to go sour.

He states that one of his friends commented that they were surprised he was gaining so much weight when he was eating less fat than his normal PALEO diet. He says, "I'm Paleo, I eat a lot of fat, I eat a lot of protein...I'm doing this because I want people to know that I'm gaining weight--it's not because of the fat you're eating, it's not the amount of fat I'm eating that's making me gain a pound a day. Because I'm not hungry and I'm not eating as much fat. The change is I'm eating sugar. It's sugar that makes you gain weight."

He continues to say, "It's raised insulin level that makes you gain weight, not the fat...but it's so hard to get out of your mind that fat makes you fat."

And finally, later he says, "I'm surprised at how much weight I've gained in the last few days, and that's because my insulin level has been higher (how is he measuring this???) my fat cells have been qued to store fat, ITS NOT THE ADDITIONAL CALORIES IN THE COKES (oh really?) it's because I'm storing fat because I have a raised insulin level."

So I don't know who this guy is, but he's sure making a lot of public claims that aren't completely supported by the evidence. For one thing, absolutely added calories from the sugar are going to be stored as fat and excess energy. You ARE gaining weight from the calories. Please don't demonize grains. For another, having a high fat diet certainly will also cause weight gain and that's a negative without even knowing what this man's fat lab values are before during and after his 'experiment.'

Plus, there is a big difference between the sugar he's consuming in liquid form in his coke can than, say, a whole wheat piece of high fiber bread. Especially on the way it changes insulin levels and glucose peaks.

Anyway, I really don't have time to get into this because of finals but those are just some of the first things that pop into my head from watching this. You can find the link here and watch for yourself (don't get mad I've already warned you)

Thanks
Erica Houghton, RD

Oh and 10 cans of coke per day is 1,380ish calories
In one month he should gain FROM THE CALORIES (38,640) about 11 pounds. He gained twice that in his 'experiment.' If only he hadn't basically told the public fat doesn't make you gain weight and only sugar tells your fat cells to store energy.

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/health/its-not-news-that-soda-is-bad-for-us-but-it-is-104089767387.html


No comments:

Post a Comment